Serves: 36 to 40 cookies
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease or spray cookie sheets.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, shortening, peanut butter, and sugar on medium speed until light, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg, then the vanilla. On low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture just until mixed. The dough will be stiff.
- Pinch off pieces of the dough and roll between your palms into 1⅛-inch balls. Place on the cookie sheets, spacing them about 1½ inches apart. Press the tines of a fork into the top of the cookie, then press again at right angles, to make a crosshatch design.
- Bake in the center of the oven until the edges are beginning to turn golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheets for about 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.