Cream cheese gives sugar cookies a marvelous flavor. It also makes the dough softer and stickier. The dough needs to be cold when these are rolled out; if it begins to stick, return it to the refrigerator for a while.
This dough is used in Shining Star Cookies.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract (or vanilla)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour