Fried Mexican Cookies (Bunuelos)
Serves: 24 cookies
Warm, crispy and scented with cinnamon, these favorite Mexican cookies disappear in no time at all.
- ½ cup milk
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 extra large egg
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, flour, butter, salt, baking powder, and egg to make a soft dough. Place dough on a lightly floured board and knead for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Divide dough into 24 equal balls and place on a cookie sheet. Cover lightly and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured board, roll each ball to a 3-inch circle.
- Pour oil into a 7- or 9-inch frying pan with deep sides to a depth of at least 1 inch. Heat to 375 degrees F. Add one cookie to the oil and fry for about 20 seconds on each side, or until golden brown. Use 2 forks to turn the cookie over, and watch carefully so it does not burn. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over warm cookies. Serve immediately.