Lemon Bars with a Twist of Lime
Author: Barbara Grunes
Serves: 16 squares
Grated lime zest in the crust deepens the citrus flavor of these popular bar cookies.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon very finely grated lime zest
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the crust: Mix the flour, butter, confectioners’ sugar, and lime zest on low speed (or with a wooden spoon), just until mixed. Pat dough evenly into an ungreased 8-inch square cake pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until crust is firm to the touch but not browned. Remove from the oven.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the topping. Beat eggs, granulated sugar, and lemon and lime juices on medium speed for about 8 minutes, until mixture is a pale lemon color. Mix in flour and baking powder, and beat just until combined.
- Pour topping over hot crust. Return to the oven and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes, until filling is firm to the touch and does not wiggle.
- Let cool completely in the pan, then refrigerate for 15 minutes. With a small, sharp knife, cut evenly into squares. If filling starts to stick to knife, wipe knife blade off frequently with a wet paper towel. Remove cookies from pan with a small spatula.
- Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.